Sunday, February 21, 2010

Trials and Temptations

Just a couple brief Lenten observation:

1. If Jesus spent times of waiting, times of trials, temptations and suffering, why do we think we should be exempt? We should all expect these times as a part of life and assume that the people we meet along the way, or in the pew next to us are going through these times even now.

2. If Jesus got through these by faith in the Word of God, how can we expect any different? Why do we look for everything but the Word of God for strength, encouragement and promise?

Perhaps we who are called by Christ's Name will use this Lenten season to take seriously the life and sufferings of Jesus, and so follow Him.

3 comments:

  1. Why should we be exempt? Bam.

    In my case, there is a long distance between a theoretical understanding of "looking to the WORD for strength, encouragement and promise" and experiencing the practice of it. It's a journey that I had thought unnecessary because I apparently had no idea where I actually was.

    I have commenced now I guess, and expect to get there when the world is remade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete