Thursday, February 11, 2010

Oh Yeah! We Also Had Chickens



I forgot to mention, we had chickens. Our girls, pictured on the left were a great addition to our urban farm. When all were laying, we had 14-17 eggs a week. We will get another four sometime in March. I miss my fresh eggs and the company they provided. The meat is still in the freezer though (we have to sneak it in so our daughter doesn't freak out).

On another track we are working on a much larger flock of hens out of town. We should be getting them sooner than later. A few families are getting together to raise 100+ chickens, taking turns to care for them and collect eggs. In the late fall we will "harvest" them and divide them among the families.

If any of you have the desire to raise chickens, check with your city's ordinances and go for it! They bring a lot of pleasure and good eats to our family!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to be in on the chicken adventure!

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom keeps trying to get chickens, but no one over here wants them :( I am ambivalent on the issue. Though I think they sound a lot like kids...fun to hang out with sometimes...but always make sure you give (force...:) them back to the parents when go...

    ReplyDelete