Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Tending to Our Plot

Everything we are and have has been given to us by God- our life, time, possessions, relationships... everything. God gives us these things as gift and task. In this post, I will speak of these things briefly as task, but on Friday I will post on these things as gift. Since we are in the middle of a conversation, you may want to read this, this, and this, first.

God put Adam in the garden to work- he is to make things, order things, name things, relate to things, people, and God. This is our basic task as well- we tend to all that God has given us. All these things, I call my little plot. If I tend to my plot well, it flourishes, but if I neglect it, all these gifts wither.

This spring, I will plant my garden. Even now we are planning and ordering seeds. I have a great array of choices to make, but until I plan and execute the plan, I will only have a plot of weeds. I can plan for utility, or I can plan for extravagance. I can plan to make things easy or hard, sparse or abundant, plain or beautiful. I have the freedom to do anything the bounds of my plot allows. It is a task I enjoy immensely, yet it is hard. I want to grow an abundance of food, with a great amount of beauty. The pleasure for the tongue and eye is well worth the work.

Of course, you know what I am getting at. All our tasks are like this. Take the task of tending to your family. What are you planning and executing? Aiming for easy? How about beauty? Do you take time to evaluate and pull the weeds? Is your family flourishing? Are the relationships bearing fruit?

Over the next several weeks, I will share my thoughts and experiences with tending to the various facets of this little plot of mine. Until then... get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment